At the April 14th meeting of the cycling advisory committee, a motion was carried concerning the cycling network planning for the north end of the city, and relative priorities of the committee’s work.
The Brockville Cycling Advisory Committee has considered comments both pro and con from Council/FAO and the public to Phase I of the cycling plan, and proposes the following course of action:
With respect to the King St W segment: provide support to the City as requested as this project moves ahead for implementation in the Summer.
With respect to the joint project with the Brock Trail committee for the new Trail segment from Laurier to Centennial, and the 401 corridor crossing segment (St. Lawrence College to Westminster Public School), the “joint OMCIP project”: focus efforts in working with the Brock Trail committee to complete fundraising, and with the City for planning and staged implementation.
With respect to the Laurier Blvd segment, the committee recognizes:
- A more holistic and integrated approach to the “north side” cycling plan is needed to put Laurier in context.
- Significant public education and outreach remains in order to build an understanding of the City’s commitment to active transportation.
- Significant education of Council remains to generate better support for meeting the commitments made to residents through the Official Plan, Sustainability Plan and Healthy Community Vision, with respect to active transportation.
- As shown by Mr. Valley’s recent contribution, there is value in productive engagement of willing community groups to supplement the ongoing dialogue with Brockville Police, Health Unit, Fire Department, Safe Communities and other partners.
- The City and Brockville Police need time to determine and execute a plan for taming traffic behaviour in the Laurier Blvd corridor.
- In concert with the Brock Trail Committee, more planning effort is needed for the east end of Laurier near Bridlewood and the Memorial Park parking lots.
- BCAC resources are limited, we are volunteers in an advisory committee.
In consideration of the foregoing, the committee moves that BCAC focus efforts in working with the Brock Trail committee on the joint OMCIP project, and as a secondary effort, develop a more holistic cycling network plan for the north side of the City, to be taken through public review and FAO/Council at a later date. Motion carried.